**
Hello List!

This one is a stumper, so far--perhaps some of you grand folks have a clue
(all the ones we've found have added up NULL).

ARS7.1
ITSM 7.0.03
SQL 2005
Win 2003

We installed the 'performance encryption' package, and the plugin server--as
far as the requester console is concerned (specifically
RQC:ServiceRequestWizard)--returns an error, and never processes the
request:
---
"The AR System Plug-In server is not responding. Cannot connect to the
system at this time. Contact your AR System Administrator for assistance
(ARERR 8939)"
---

The plugin server is running, AREA and ARDBC LDAP connections work fine (and
shows up in the arplugin log); that part isn't bothered by encryption.

If we make the encryption optional, then the client connection from user.exe
will negotiate encrypted (if the client has been patched for encryption),
and the requestor thread (which was NOT able to negotiate encryption for
some reason) is not being challenged and is allowed to continue.

It appears that something isn't able to negotiate a connection, but it's not
clear what's failing, or why--nothing at all crashes, we just get the
refused connection, and a lot of nothing useful in either the arsql,
arerror, or arplugin logs.

It didn't happen with the 56bit encryption that comes with ARS, either, but
that's not strong enough for the data we carry and the policies set by our
ISO, so...

Any clues welcome!

Thanks,
~james

[] James Russell                512.475.9262 |
[] Remedy Development Team      512.475.9400 |
[] The University of Texas, ITS              |
[] [EMAIL PROTECTED]                |
 ~~