The reason for this is that ARS does some funny (strange) things with
searches on field 1.

Specifically I have never seen the full logic spelled out in the docs,
but here is  what I think it does....

if (User input length is less than length of field 1) then
  LPad the value with the prefix for field 1

I would guess that there is likely more logic involved, but that is at
least the part that is important to this thread.

So if the user enters "70" into the field 1 QBE then the system
automatically searches for "000000000000070". (Assuming a 15 digit
length for field 1.) It looks like this special tricks were not
implemented on the field ID 70 fields in archive forms.

It _think_ you can approximate this with Active Links on Search. ( But
you may need to have a display only field (or 3) to get the logic just
right too.)

BTW: There are other *special* tricks that field 1 does too. (Like
search on return in the field if the UT is configured to do that.)

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach