I think it is a mistake to have your DBA create indexes directly in
the database. You should use the Admin tool to create them.
I do not believe there is a performance benefit either way as Remedy
will create indexes in much the same way as your DBA would. An index
on three columns created through the Admin tool or directly in the
database by your DBA will perform the same.
However, you will not be able to see what indexes actually exist
through the Admin tool if everything is done at the dbase level. You
might even create duplicate indexes which could cause some performance
issues as the dbase would have to maintain both. Now, maintaining
index performance is more of DBA task. In Oracle you need to run stats
periodically to ensure the correct indexes are used. This is something
you cannot do from the Admin tool.