Hi Amey,

Below is a snippet I have regarding Email Engine performance tuning. It is
not possible to set up multiple email engines connected to one single AR
Server but you can run the email engine on another host that the AR Server.
Also there are several options for tuning the email engine. The amount of
email you specify should not pose problems.

Regards,

Michiel Beijen.

---------------------

There are several things you can do to speed up emails. We have tuned ours
so that it can send between 300-500 per minute. We reach those levels
several times a day. We can get 1000 per minute if server load is low and
the emails do not contain ARTask attachments. Here are a few things you can
do:

   - Use multiple private threads

   1. Setup a private RPC queue. Set max threads to the total number of
   incoming and outgoing mailboxes you have.
   2. Specify this RPC number in emaildaemon.properties like this:

com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.yourserver.RPC=390630

   - Configure multiple outgoing mailboxes

   1. If you have access to multiple SMTP servers, create one mailbox for
   each SMTP server. You won't see much gain from using a single SMTP server
   and aliasing it to allow creation of multiple Remedy mailboxes. A
   one-for-one on mail servers to mailboxes seems to be a functional limit. But
   if you have 2 SMTP servers with 2 mailboxes you can double your throughput.
   2. If you have an Exchange server, create one for an Outlook profile.
   (Consider creating multiple Outlook profiles and MAPI mailboxes if you
   really need more throughput). MAPI tends to be much faster than SMTP but is
   prone to issues with Exchange connectivity, the Outlook profile, etc.
   3. Setup workflow on AR System Email Messages using Set Fields to
   specify the outgoing mailbox so that it uses a round robin approach.

   - Increase number of threads per mailbox (7.0.x only)

   1. This is a 7.0.x feature I haven't been able to use since I'm on
   6.3. But Support has achieved some outrageous improvements with these
   settings in their test lab. If you're on 7.0.x, add these to your
   emaildaemon.properties file. (Note: increasing these settings to higher
   numbers won't yield higher throughput for some reason)

com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.NumberOfSenderThreads=4
com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.OutgoingMessagesQueueSize=2000

   - Dedicated Email Engine server

   1. Setup a separate server that does nothing but run the Email Engine
   service. Search the BMC KB for instructions on changing the registry so that
   the Email Engine service is not dependent on the local AR Server service.
   This will allow you to run the Email Engine without running AR Server.
   Configure the emaildaemon.properties to connect to your actual AR Server.
   This will really help if your AR Server gets high CPU usage.

   - Increase the Java heap size

   1. Search for this in the BMC KB. Increase the max heap size to 512 MB
   or 1 GB and you could see a big improvement if Java is using a lot of
   memory.

   - Turn off group and user caching

   1. Set this line in emaildaemon.properties so the Email Engine won't
   cache all of your groups and users when it starts up. It will only cache
   them as needed. It rarely actually needs that info and it uses a lot of
   memory. This will also make the Email Engine service start much faster.

com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.FetchUserGroupInfoOnDemand=true

   - Add additional indexes

   1. With SQL analysis we found some email engine queries that could
   benefit from more indexes when you have quite a bit of history on your email
   engine forms. Back on 5.1.1 these (and a few others BMC finally added as
   standard) doubled my outgoing throughput. These include:

AR System Email Association
  1. Destination ID (improves performance)
AR System Email Error Logs
  1. Email ID (makes display of AR System Email Messages records faster)
  2. Create Date (makes troubleshooting easier)
AR System Email Messages
  1. Send Message (improves performance)
  2. Date Sent (makes troubleshooting easier)
  3. Create Date (makes troubleshooting easier)

   - Reduce the sent item history

   1. You can completely eliminate this by setting 'Delete Outgoing
   Notification Messages' = "Yes" in each outgoing mailbox, or by setting
   com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.SaveSentItem=False in your
   emaildaemon.properties file.
   2. You can retain a few days worth of history by setting up an
   escalation to delete records older than a few days from AR System Email
   Messages, AR System Email Attachments, and AR System Email Association.

   - Set polling interval below 1 minute

   1. If 1 minute is not fast enough for you, and you have a low enough
   volume for the server to handle frequent polls, set this in
   emaildaemon.properties so it interprets your polling interval as a number of
   seconds instead of minutes. You probably don't want to go below 15 seconds
   on this or it would never really stop running.

com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.MailboxPollingUnitIsMinutes=false