-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Sanders
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:12 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Server Group Floating Write License Issue

I could be wrong here, but it was my understanding that in ARS v7 the

licenses are stored in the database, not in the file system.  I don't
think this is true for 7.0.1.  Keys are still required and stored in a
file on the server.  Although

armonitor.conf still contains a pointer to the old location of the
license

files, these no longer exist.

So, you will probably not have a multilicense file to delete.  Still
have .multilicense and, yes, it is created new everytime I delete it.

I am assuming that you have 2 ARS servers sharing one database, either
the

dev database (servers 1 and 3) or when you switch, the production
database

(servers 2 and 3). When you added server 3 to your production server and

deleted the floating licenses, you were deleting the floating licenses
from

your production database (i.e. from server 2).  Actually, I deleted the
floating license key from server #3.  It was in the arsystem.lic file
while it was running with Server #1.  After I deleted that from Server
#3, I selected a floating license key from Server #2 and installed it on
Server #3/  What you should have done is

to ADD the server license for server 3 to the one already visible (which
was

for server 2).

The production and development servers need to have different server
group

names. Perhaps in hindsight, I should have named them differently.  But
since they are stored in the database and neither database should know
about the other.  So naming the the same should not be an issue.  You
need to end up with the following licenses stored in the

databases:

Dev server database - AR Server Licenses for server 1 and server 3, and

floating licenses for server group dev

Prod server database - AR Server Licenses for server 2 and server 3, and

floating licenses for server group prod

Again, for 7.0.1, I do not believe the keys are stored in the database.
In Unix-Solaris, they are stored in file
/etc/arsystem/<server_name>/arsystem.lic.

In other words, the server 3 licenses needs to be added to both server

groups.  Only the floating license needs to be installed on both
servers.  For the servers, the ARServer key has to be installed
individually on each server.

Bear in mind that when you connect to a server, the licenses you view
are

those stored in the database you are connecting to, not to the bit of

hardware you happen to be connecting through.

HTH

David Sanders

Remedy Solution Architect

Enterprise Service Suite @ Work

==========================

ARS List Award Winner 2005

Best 3rd party Remedy Application

See the ESS Concepts Guide

tel +44 1494 468980

mobile +44 7710 377761

email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.westoverconsulting.co.uk

Dan Wangler,   Team Lead,  STARS Group

Phone: 214-567-8304; email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Client/Server Services, IT Operations

Texas Instruments, Inc.

6500 Chase Oaks Blvd., MS 8401

Plano, Texas, 75023