With ITSM 6, it's pretty difficult to keep the lists short, because you have
to reference all kinds of applications and hardware.  If you can, look at
separating out the Products into a separate set of CTIs, like ITSM 7 does.
If you can, your Operational CTIs can be kept pretty short.  There was a
thread here a few days ago about how to do that.

If you can't, or you can't add another level or so, you're pretty much stuck
with what you have.

Rick