Are you sure you are running patch 6 on the email engine? I ran into a
problem at one point with because email engine pre-patch 2 does not delete
temporary files.  In which case the temp folder filled up with over 1
million files and caused poor performance of the email engine (about 6
emails per minute). A simple resart of the email engine did not fix the
issue.  We had to remove all the temporary files in the directory.