________________________________

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark Latta
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 9:00 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: VBA aruser/Remedy newbie questions

** Kevin,
I have been doing this for years and the simplest method that I have
found is to use the "AR System ODBC Data Source" available through MS
Excel.  This ODBC driver is installed/available by default on
workstations that have the Remedy User Tool installed on it.  The best
part is that you can simply record an Excel macro while you establish
the ODBC connection to Remedy and define your query criteria through MS
Query.  Once you have recorded the code you'll have almost everything
you need to tailor it and to add subsequent formatting, charting and
analysis code for reporting.  Here are a few things to keep in mind for
security reasons:
1.) Password protect the excel VBA project (in the VB Editor) to protect
the login and password information which will be recorded for
establishing the database connection
2.) If you opt to return the data to Excel (which isn't necessary for
reporting) you will want to set the following Query/Table property:
EnableEditing = False
     This prevents the users from being able to modify the query
criteria after it is retrieved from the database by simply
right-clicking on the data in the Excel worksheet.

Summary of steps for the macro:
1.) From the main Excel menu: Data -> Import External Data -> New
Database Query...
2.) In the "Choose Data Source" pop-up window select the "AR System ODBC
Data Source"
3.) Provide the ODBC login information when prompted.
4.) Select your query criteria through MS Query which was automatically
started.  (Select columns, etc.)
  You can choose to return the data to Excel or to continue editing in
MS Query.
  Note: MS Query is limited in capabilities and will not support all
datatypes in Remedy.

The format in which the query criteria is recorded is a bit difficult to
edit.  However you can replace that with a query sting property which
allows you to enter plain text that is much simpler to read and edit
than the array type construction that it records it in.

Let me know if you need any additional help.  Feel free to email me
directly at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Mark Latta