Lisa, That was a very detailed response. The behaviour I'm noticing
could well be a defect.

BTW, where do I access the details of the defects you've listed
here ?

I've got my hands on a document from here . This may be of help ., if
you haven't got this yet.

http://developer.bmc.com:8080/jiveProd/thread.jspa?messageID=73039&#73039

Here's the behaviour I'm seeing on my system :

1) Action Templates for Role Based Notifications do NOT work
2) Using To/CC/BCC from "Owners" Menu Item on Custom Templates or
Templates based on that do NOT work. I've two entries  defined in
SLM:ConfigSLMOwners form for "Owners" menu item, with mixture of valid
email ids and user IDs.
3) Custom Actions or Action Templates based on "Email or Alert" work
as expected.

Is there any relevant defect info/ documentation that I can access?

Cheers, BnB.