Morning List. I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. We are trying to
build a data import facility into Remedy. This will enable users to import .csv
files with up to 50,000 records into a staging form. We would like to give the
users the ability to validate these records (based on a set of user defined
criteria) and then load them into the AST:Configuration Item (CI) form. Here is
our current design:

Web based tool pushes data in .csv file into Oracle table. Once this is done
(50,000 records takes about 8 minutes), it calls a web service which starts up
a Remedy API. The API loops round the records in the Oracle table and inserts
them into a Remedy form. Validation occurs on this form (E.g. Is Company field
Mandatory, Unique or a Primary Key) and using a console, the user is able to
insert the records into the AST:Configuration Item (CI) form. This design came
about because we are unwilling to provide Administrator Access to our server to
allow users to use the Remedy Import Tool.

This design works. However, there is a lot of validation going on on the Remedy
staging form. This means that to process 10,000 records takes about 2 hours.
The validation takes 1.38 seconds per record. If we have a customer wanting to
validate 50,000 records daily we are looking at about 10 hours. This is not
acceptable.

I have a few questions:

1.       Is this design the right way to go about this?

2.       Has anyone else done anything like this for the amount of records we
are talking about?

3.       Has anyone got any suggestions to improve the speed (aside from the
usual indexes etc)?

We could potentially move the validation to the Web side of things (Biz Talk
server), but would utilising the API to do a Merge operation significantly help
matters?

ARS Version 6.3 patch 24
Oracle 9.2
Windows 2003 servers

Hope you can help!

Thanks,

Gavin Coleman
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Computacenter (UK) Ltd
Services & Solutions
Hatfield Avenue
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9TW, United Kingdom
T: +44 (0) 1707 631662
E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
W: www.computacenter.com

COMPUTACENTER PLC is registered in England and Wales with the registered number
03110569.  Its registered office is at Hatfield Business Park, Hatfield Avenue,
Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL10 9TW
COMPUTACENTER (UK) Limited is registered in England and Wales with the
registered number 01584718.  Its registered office is at Hatfield Business
Park, Hatfield Avenue, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL10 9TW

The contents of this email are intended for the named addressee only.
It contains information which may be confidential and which may also be
privileged.
Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive mail for the
addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else.

If you receive it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it.

Computacenter information is available from:
http://www.computacenter.com