Thanks for the replies so for. I was thinking that ITSM was mis-handling the OR part of the query somehow. After more checking, that menu is built from a SYS form that handles the differences in the field label and the field database name. The users select the field label from the Advanced Search menu, but it inserts the database name into the query. For this one particular case, one of the value pairs in the SYS backend form is incorrect. It is Product Name=Model when it really should be Product Name=Model Number. Remedy (oops, BMC Remedy ITSM) doesn't know what field that is, and it returns a null set.

Drew