I use the SQL 2005 row_number  function to do something that sounds like
what you want,  in a SQL view,  and then expose that as a View Form in
remedy:

SELECT     cast(row_number() OVER (ORDER BY somecolumn) AS int) AS Record,
column2, column3.....

One note, don't do this.  Since the row_number is generated dynamically it
is not permanently bound to a certain record unless you export it into a
regular table (or a regular remedy form).  I didn't think would be a problem
until I found this out the hard way:  Search results would sometimes display
record A in the results section, and record B in the details section.  This
was not immediately obvious, because it only has this behavior when you have
search criteria that filters some records.  Hope this helps somehow!

Brien