Not really sure how pl/sql can help since the blob is compressed with a
proprietary compression algorithm.

The easiest way would be with Meta-Update where you can control the output file
names as desired.

You can also use any API programming language such as Perl, Java, c, etc and
write your own code.

You can also, run some workflow through an escalation or whatever trigger you
like.  A filter can export an attachement to the file system on the server.  An
AL can export it to the client.  Of course you'll have to deal with file names,
directories, slash vs backslash etc.

See the special "process":

PERFORM-ACTION-SAVE-ATTACHMENT <field_ID> [<file_name>]

Cheers
Ben Chernys

www.softwaretoolhouse.com