From: William Rentfrow
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 7:32 PM
To: 'arslist@ARSLIST.ORG'
Subject: SLM 7.1 install issue

I am having a weird issue with the SLM 7.1 installer.  This is on a
Windows server with a MS-SQL db.

It works fine on one box - on the box I need it to run on now though it
fails.  There are several things worth noting.

First, during the install we always get a weird pop-up box with the
following message:

AR Server Databse Type -- mssql Return -- 1

(yes, the typo is in the error message we get)

Second, the installer always has two DEF files that fail.  These are
both tied to the collector module.  BMC tech support has informed us
that the installer thinks it is supposed to install the collector module
when we have definitly NOT chosen that option in any of the installer
screens.  We do not want the data collector.

We've re-downloaded the install, deleted everything off the server,
rolled back the DB, and generally speaking done everything I can think
of.  We made sure the license was applied.  We are aware of the
documentation bug that says the "disable escalations" should be turned
on which is NOT actually the case (ie, escalations are on - but we tried
it both ways just for the heck of it).

The server is in dev cache mode.

On the other box we do NOT get the weird error message.  And everything
installs correctly.

On both boxes the user running the install has correct administrative
permissions, etc.

William Rentfrow
Principal Consultant, StrataCom Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]