Donald,

It sounds like you're on the right path with this.  You do need to set IIS
to run as 32-bit and get the asp.net updated.  However, you should be
and uninstall both Tomcat and the Jakarta ISAPI Redirector (not Mid-Tier).
Go to Windows Explorer and delete the d:\program files\apache. folder and
sub-folders.  Now, run the ARS 7.1 patch005 MT Installer.  Choose IIS and
Tomcat, and 'reinstall' your MT.  It should reinstall both the Jakarta and
Tomcat for you.  You'll get Tomcat 5.5.25, which is now bundled with
patch004 and patch005.

I've used the above method several times on Windows 2003 x64 with success,
but it would not work if the IIS had not been changed to 32-bit and
restarted first.

Good luck!

Matt Reinfeldt