I would call it clueless as well as stateless; we have had plenty of trouble
with it (7.1.00.002 and 004 on Win2K3 Ent x64).  If the service crashes it can
be set to restart (at the service level), but more often than not it crashes
the java and the service hangs in a state where it cannot stop, much less
restart properly.  As far as connecting to the mailbox, it will lose its
connection (MAPI) to my Exchange server whenever that service stops to run a
backup, and note the error in the AR System Email Error Logs, but since the
service is still running it just picks up the connection again on the next
polling cycle.  The service has to be running, or it will not try to reconnect;
there isn't anything like the armonitor that is trying to restart the aremaild
if it dies. The problem is always when the aremaild process hangs with a java
error, usually without crashing the Windows service so that it can detect the
stop and attempt a new start.

Support has us on a debug build of 7.1.00.004 right now that behaves strangely,
but is not crashing unless I induce that by sending it one incoming email
message that has proven deadly (why that one, we don't know - we think it has
hidden characters in it or something).

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/