We upgraded our Crystal Reports Professional copies to XI when 7.x came out,
and are using the Crystal Reports Server XI that came bundled with it to serve
up our reports for mid-tier. Before 7.x, we were using Crystal Reports
Professional 9 with the bundled Crystal Enterprise 9 web server in exactly the
same manner for the 5.1.2 and 6.3 mid-tiers. Version XI is where BO switched
from providing 5 concurrent licenses with their bundled web server (all you
needed to make mid-tier reporting work) to 5 named licenses, which does not
work unless you  tell mid-tier that it is talking to a BOXI server instead of a
Crystal Reports Server.  I am not sure what BO is shipping now, but in theory
the web server bundled with Crystal Reports Professional should be all that you
need to serve reports for the mid-tier, since we don't serve anything else (no
one is accessing any crystal report natively, only those built into the ITSM
application and available through the mid-tier).

I'm not sure you will find anyone still working at BMC Remedy who understands
this and can give you coherent advice.  For many years we were told by support
that Crystal Reports Professional was the correct low-cost answer since all you
needed was the bundled web server with 5 concurrent licenses to serve up
reports on the web; this was true using Crystal 8.5 and 9 with earlier versions
of the mid-tier.  You needed Crystal Reports Professional itself to edit any of
the OOTB reports, or create custom ones for import into the application, so it
was the perfect choice of products. When 7.x came out and required a 10 or XI
level version of Crystal, whoever knew how that worked was already gone.  It
took me almost a year to convince support that the licensing had changed in XI
and was causing problems for the mid-tier when using the settings they had
specified in their documentation.  They were working under the false assumption
that everyone would have a full-blown, fully licensed version of Crystal
Reports Server XI or BOXI available to them, and had not kept up with the web
reporting server bundled with CR Professional.  I would contend that CR
Professional and its bundled web server should be the ONLY thing that you need
to do reporting for mid-tier.  It would be a gross imposition by BMC Remedy to
expect that everyone must buy a more powerful (and expensive) version of the
CR/BOXI web server than that just to serve up reports on the web.  That
function alone cannot justify the cost of a fully licensed BO web server, which
is intended (and priced) for serving up complex, native crystal reports over
its own interface, to users registered within its own security model.  That's
like using a .600 Nitro Express to hunt mice.  You should investigate whatever
BO is currently selling as Crystal Reports Professional and whatever web server
is currently shipping with it.  You may have to buy the current version but ask
for an earlier version in order to get compatibility with ARS 7.x; I have not
looked past the original distribution of XI.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/