Brien:

You're right in that a Change Field action cannot make a field become
Required.  I think the "no Active Link Guides in Mid-Tier" is an old
limitation, though; and shouldn't affect you with ARS 7.1.

It sounds like maybe you're mixing a couple of different topics:

1. Data Integrity -- many people find it's best practice to use only Filters
for data integrity checking.  That being said, there is some benefit to doing
basic checking in Active Links when your application will be run through a
browser, in that the end user will see better performance.  Active Links can
also make the uesr experience better by providing visual clues (eg, in the case
of multiple validation failures, changing all failed fields to red labels).
Filters will always enforce data integrity rules regardless of what kind of
client is talking to ARS (not all clients understand Active Links).  Setting
fields as Required is a nice convenience, but I've worked on applications where
the development guidelines state not to use the Required attribute in order to
prevent failed DSO transfers or for other considerations.

2. Presentation -- I'd suggest a more modular approach to your application.
Regardless of whether the end user is entering a new employee or updating an
old one, all the same rules generally apply.  So why not use the same screen
(form/view) for data gathering regardless of the operation being performed?
Most data entry screens are accessed from a control panel of some sort, so have
the end user choose new/edit from the control panel; then the system will
present the data entry screen, which always looks the same.  The basic idea is
to separate the control panel type of functions from the data entry functions.
Alternatively you could have two different forms ("New Employee" & "Update
Employee"), but that increases complexity of the application and can lead to an
overall increase in cost of ownership (maintenance, performance, etc).  Yet
another approach can be used when the data entry screens start getting too
complex/crowded, and that is to
 use dialogs to build "wizard" type functionality into the application -- BMC
uses this approach extensively in their complex ITSM forms.

Just Some Thoughts,
--Phil (another Arizonan)