Hi Folks,

Sorry.. I may have committed a breach of etiquette
by not properly identifying myself:

Larry Robinson
NC State University
Office Of Information Technology
Remedy Administrator

On Nov 21, 2008, at 11:35 AM, L G Robinson wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am seeking some assistance in referencing the value of a form
field through an indirect reference.

I have a filter guide that contain a loop to process a number of
fields on the form. I am using this to detect which fields have
been modified and to build a diary entry containing the changes.
The field names of interest are stored in another form and I have
been successful in fetching the names and building a
qualification to detect the condition that I am interested in. I
used the EXTERNAL function in the qualification of the filter to
detect the conditions that I am interested in. This part works
fine.

The problem comes inside this filter. Now that I have determined
that one of the fields of interest has been modified, I need to
reference the current value of that field on the form. I want to
reference the field value as part of a "Set Fields" action
against the current transaction. The name of the field of
interest is contained in another field on the same form... lets
call it $field_name$. So the question is, how do I get the value
of the field whose name is in the field $field_name$, as part of a
"Set Fields" action in a filter? I do not see a way to use the
EXTERNAL operator in this context.

I have looked through all of the functions and processes and
none of them appear to provide the functionality that I need.
Any suggestions on how to accomplish this will be greatly
appreciated.

AR Server 5.1.2 patch 1313
Sybase DB

Thanks.