Christine,

The answer is yes, you're on the right track, and we've done it.

We wanted to do exactly what you asked - AE rules for one support group
only. The safest thing is to leave all the AE rules installed out of the
box alone (you might want them again someday) and build a new set of AE
rules. Ours have names like General Assignment - Custom, Change Manager -
Custom and so forth (those won't show up on the application configuration
menu until you enter them in another table - sorry, forgot the name!)

The General Assignment - Custom method contains rules which include the
Support Group field from the request form in the rule qualification, and
pull their assignees from the General Assignment form (which is baaically
support group membership).  The rule (paraphrasing here - I'm not at work)
is something like

Support Group on Request Form = Service Desk and Support Group on
Assignment Form = SGP000000000123 and Status = Enabled and Assignment
Availability = Yes

and the metthod (in our case) is load balance by number.

and that gets you a login you can assign. The first part of that will only
be true for the Service Desk tickets, and all the other tickets get no
assignee....

Get ya started?

Doug