We had an interesting problem with a test envirornment.  Even if we
set the ar.conf file to register with the portmapper, we got an
RPCBind error (Authentication Failure).  We discovered that the latest
version of Solaris uses some different settings.  We found the
following solution at
http://www.mail-archive.com/arsperl-us...@arsperl.org/msg00610.html:

1. the portmapper ("rpcbind") is under the control of the "Service
Management
Facility" (SMF) on solaris10.  SMF seems (to me, at least) very
bloated with
lots of gratuitous stuff, including "properties".  One of the
properties for
rpc/bind is "config/local_only" which apparently controls whether the
portmapper can be reached from other hosts. It was set to "true", so
other
hosts were out of luck.  I set it to "false" using:

  svccfg -s svc:/network/rpc/bind
  svc:/network/rpc/bind> setprop config/local_only = false
  svc:/network/rpc/bind> quit

  svcadm refresh svc:/network/rpc/bind

2. the 2nd cause was also related to a property, "config/
enable_tcpwrappers",
which was set to "true", meaning access to rpcbind was filtered by
tcpwrappers,
so I added a line to "/etc/hosts.allow" as follows:

  rpcbind:      ALL

And made sure /etc/hosts.allow was readable by rpcbind ("chmod 644
/etc/hosts.allow").

Just a heads up.