Sean,

I see this confusion quite often.... so let me try to separate what I
think is going on...

"AR System WebServices" essentially has two heads.

1) If the AR System server will be consuming an externally published
Web Service then there are a set of requirements that need to be meet.

2) If the AR System server will be publishing Web Service(s) then
there are a set of requirements that need to be meet.

I believe that the AR System server installer is only concerned with
part 1 above.

I think, and I could be wrong about this, that the Mid-Tier is
completely responsible for part 2 above. ( Yea... the AR System has
objects in the  DB, Yea... the Admin tool has to have a JRE installed
to build those objects... but... I think the Mid-Tier does all the
"WebService publishing magic" . )

So I think if you do not use any Set Field actions that consume web
services (AR System based or not) then you likely are already "good to
go".

On the other hand...
    Personally I would get use to having a valid Java environment
setup on your AR System servers. ( The Java based Plug-in sever needs
it. BMC is clearly moving to a more Java centric approach at the API
layer... I really think it is hear to stay.)
    Since your using a Unix'ish OS. Assumption based on the java path
in your example. :) I am also not sure you need to re-run the
installer to fix this. You likely only really need a tweak of the
startup script to correct the Java path to a newer Java install. And
maybe correct a few lines in the ar.conf file to "enable" the "C
based" WebService plugin that appears to use Java API's to do the
work.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black