The Java System Solutions page on their sso plugin does the best job I've
found of illustrating how I've seen SSO implemented with the mid-tier.

http://www.javasystemsolutions.com/jss/ssoplugin
http://www.javasystemsolutions.com/img/diagram/ssoplugin-midtier.png

Not endorsing the product, as I've never used it, but there is a good
write-up/illustrations on the page.

It involves writing a custom AREA plug-in as well as customizations to
login.jsp and custom servlets on the mid-tier server.  There are BMC
whitepapers on the subject as well, though I have not used them as we
developed the sso solution using a 6.0.1 mid-tier server which did not have
the Authenticator hooks the newer versions of mid-tier have.

We can keep the discussion on the list; other people may have things to add
and things to gain through visibility into the discussion.

Axton Grams

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in
this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.  My
voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a
spokesperson, liaison or public relations representative for BMC Software,
Inc.