This sounds like some weirdness we encountered two weeks ago. A user was
receiving the following error when trying to export to a csv with an AR
report template:  Error occurred in generating report.  ARERR [553]
Operation requested is too large for a single SQL command.

It was repeatable on different machines with 7.0.1 no patch and 7.1 patch
6.  We found that selecting all of the records, selecting the report
template and exporting will results in this error.  If we deselected all of
the records, select the report template and then export this error does not
happen.  Since we found a work around we didn't run a SQL trace log on the
DB server to see what the differences were in the way the SQL statement is
issued depending on selecting the records or not.

Jason