Take a look at the STRSTR function.  You can use it to find the index of the
'-', and then use the result as an argument to SUBSTR to tell it how many
characters to pull out.

Lyle

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Begosh, Kevin
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 9:08 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Question About Data Parsing

**
I have a data set that I am trying to parse out.  The comes in as an example of
123-456, and 12-3456, and 1234-56.

I know how to pull the data out based on how many characters there are say from
the left side but was you can see this is dynamic.  Is there any way in remedy
to say, all characters to the first -?

Kevin Begosh

copies of the original message.