Bruce,
I have not used it much but I think what you do is put the manager's name in
the "Manager's Name+" field of their subordinates' People records.  You
don't identify someone *as* a manager but you identify managers of People
records.  It does make identifying all the managers more tricky.

Regards,
Chuck Baldi