Ron, I would look at it through the filter of your service model. If the issue
is, and should be, resolved by those doing break/fix, then it is a restoration.
Otherwise, it isn't.

------Original Message------
From: Ron Legters
Sender: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
ReplyTo: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: How-to questions - Request or Restoration?
Sent: Jun 26, 2009 9:28 AM

Our shop is using Incident Management 7, and we're currently encouraging our IS
staff to make better choices in the 'Service Type' field (specifically 'User
Service Restoration' vs. 'User Service Request') so we can get more reliable
numbers for Mean Time to Repair.

We get a fair number of user who contact IS because they don't know how to do
something, and we can't decide if we should class these as 'Requests' or
'Restorations'. On the one hand, the service is operating normally, there's
nothing we need to fix on our end, so it sounds like a 'Request'. On the other
hand, the 'Service Restoration' definition just specifies, in essence, that the
service is unavailable, so if we make it available again either by repairing
something or showing the user how to use it, it's still a Restoration.

I'd be interested to hear how other folks are addressing this, as it seems
unlikely we're the only shop that gets calls from users asking for help when
nothing's broken.

Thanks,
Ron Legters
Tools Administrator