Thanks, I got the tip to use WebServices from another source as well
(coincidentally including a perl script written you your good self).

I have set up a request in soapUI and am getting a response back with an
incident number (below), but no ticket is created and there is no error to
say what the problem might be (not much better than BackChannel??)

I'm attaching the request as well.

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>
   <soapenv:Body>
      <ns1:HelpDesk_Submit_ServiceResponse
xmlns="urn:HPD_IncidentInterface_Create_WS"
xmlns:ns1="urn:HPD_IncidentInterface_Create_WS">
         <ns1:Incident_Number>INC000000127815</ns1:Incident_Number>
      </ns1:HelpDesk_Submit_ServiceResponse>
   </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>