Melissa,

The most important point is to understand the need and scope of the report data.

*         Are we going to use current data (say data for last one year) for our
reporting?

*         Are we going to use history data (say data for last 4 years) for our
reporting?

*         Do we need detail data in our reports? This is used by the user for
further analysis as they feed this data in their database and can create one
more level of reporting on this data. The format for such reporting is
generally .csv or .xls.

*         Do we need summary data in our report? This is used directly by users
and is generally in the form of .pdf.

In general, I would prefer to go with below plan.

1)      Separate database (Separate from  OLAP/ ITSM database)

2)      Current  data ( Say Last 1 Years Data)

a.    Summary Data tables for summary reports (generally report in .pdf format)

b.    Detail data tables for Detail reports. (Generally .csv or .xls format)

3)      History Data ( data prior to current data.). This is to be used in rare
cases.

Maintaining History/Summary tables etc depend on our data volume.

In case of reporting where data is pulled directly from ITSM form tables
without any need of join forms, it is fine to go with ITSM database. But in
cases where report pulls data from different form, needing join forms, it is
better to use different database. This helps in following ways.

a.    Ease of creating join tables.

b.    Creating Complex procedures.

These help reduce burden on reporting tools as most of the complex part is done
on database side only.

Hope this helps to serve you purpose.

Thanks & Regards,

Bipin Bhavsar / Capgemini India / Airoli (Mumbai).
Consultant / ITSM (AOS)
Phone: +91-22-39194000     Extn: 2211236
VoIP   : + 1  312 799 7777     Extn: 2212003.
Cell     : +91- 99 20 90 4470.
Email  : bipin.bhav...@capgemini.com
Web    : www.in.capgemini.com<http://www.in.capgemini.com/>
[cid:image001.gif@01CA1261.93FD0200] Together. Free your energies