Building the compiler is actually not that difficult.  You just need to make
sure that you get your options right when you run the "configure" command that
generates the Makefiles (e.g., where to install it, what modules - compilers -
to include with it, etc.).  Once you determine what options you need, you run
the configure command with the appropriate options, and that builds the
Makefiles.  You then run "make bootstrap" (or at least, that's what you used to
do to build the compiler).  That will take a while (it builds the compiler 2-3
times - once with your current compiler, then again with itself).  Once it's
built, you might be able to run "make test" to have it run its regression test
suite, but you'd have to take a look at the current docs to see.  After that,
you run "make install", and it will install it.

If you do decide to do that, you probably don't want to overwrite your system
compiler.  I would recommend installing it either into another directory,
perhaps something like /usr/local/gcc4 or somewhere under your home directory,
if you'll be the only one using it.  Using it after that is mostly a matter of
making sure that the new compiler comes first in your PATH.  For example,
/usr/local/gcc4/bin:$PATH.  That way, when you go to build things, it will use
the new compiler instead of the system compiler.

Otherwise, you may be able to find an RPM of the compiler for Red Hat.  It's
possible, though, that if you're on an older version of RedHat, and the build
that you find was built for a newer version of RedHat, you could have issues
with dependent libraries.  If that's the case, your safest bet is to build it
yourself.

The primary difficulty you could run into while building it (if you decide to
go that route), besides just determining the correct options, could be that it
may require newer versions of some libraries and/or utilities on your system.
If so, you would need to upgrade those as well.  For example, certain versions
of GCC require certain versions of GNU binutils.  When you run the configure
script, it will verify that you have usable versions of everything and will
tell you if you don't, however.

Lyle