Something that I had seen in the past when you use a nested function to return
a value or values where the developer client thinks it has been asked to query
for more than the requested number of columns..

I had to use one that returns a single column but the ARS somehow thinks its
more than a column.. fortunately for me using $1$ works as it returns the value
I want.. why does my dev studio client see 4 columns returned by:

select
'$ztmpRequestID$'||substr(lpad(nextid,$ztmpRequestIDLength$,'0'),length('$ztmpRequestID$')+1)
 from arschema where schemaid in (select schemaid from arschema where name =
'$SCHEMA$')

It looks like everytime it sees a comma, it assumes that it is another column
queries whereas that comma could be used in a function like lpad or length like
I did above..

The above is a simple select statement where $ztmpRequestID$ holds the default
value (prefix) of a Request ID returned from:
select defaultvalue from field where schemaid in (select schemaid from arschema
where name = '$SCHEMA$') and fieldid = 1

It uses that prefix and concatinates it to the left padded value of nextid
after removing the first 3 characters so as to construct the Request ID as it
may appear after the submit transaction. Setting my field to $1$ on that set
field operation gives me the correct value - but why do I see $2$, $3$ and $4$
as possible values I can set to my result?

I haven't really checked to see what values these hold but I'm willing to bet
they hold nothing (NULL).

Joe