From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Conny Martin
Sent: September 16, 2009 7:34 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: AW: Filter qualification using !=

One can not say in general that having != in a qualification does a full
table scan.

Here is a little example

You have a Form where Field1 has an index.

'Field1' = "foo" would use the index defined on Field1 'Field1' = "foo" and
'Field2' != $NULL$ would use the index defined on Field1 'Field1' = "foo"
and 'Field2' = "bar" would use the index defined on Field1 'Field1' !=
$NULL$ and 'Field2' = "bar" would not(!!) use the index defined on Field1
'Field1' = $NULL$ and 'Field2' = "bar" would not(!!) use the index defined
on Field1 'Field1' != "foo" would not(!!) use the index defined on Field1

One can say that using != with an indexed field prevents the database from
using that index. If your qualification does not include any other indexed
field then this would result in a full table scan.

HTH

Kind Regards Conny