Brien,

If this is the business logic that your application needs....
"
My end goal is to have the parent ticket modified such that when ALL
children are closed the parent is also closed.  I couldn't think of a
better way than to open the parent, send an event to trigger an AL to:
refresh a table field of open children and perform a colcount and
close the ticket if colcount=0
"
then I think a push action is your best approach.

However, if you really have some need to check for other children (or
siblings if you prefer) then you could from the child record have a
table field of all children of the same parent. You could refresh that
table field (during After Modify Active Links) and see if any of the
children are "not closed". If so then you could do a push to the
parent record to close it.

So I really see no good reason to open the other record(or form) for
the user. The business logic sounds "automatic" to me.

Now if you are trying to force the user to decide/choose if the parent
needs closed then you could also open the parent and give the user a
message action explaining the condition.

--
Carey Matthew Black
BMC Remedy AR System Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.