you should look at the number of connections on the server
netstat -an on the db side.
if you are seeing alot of close_wait .. Well let me say it this way..
IF you have alot of established.. this is good.
if you have a fair amount of anything else mixed in..

This means too many threads for the db server to handle.

hope that helps some.
too many threads to the DB can squash the DB and make it slow.
not enough with leave it idle..

Follow best practice guides --- or Good practices for the Itil V3 crowd.

--
Patrick Zandi