Claire...

Hello from between sessions in Las Vegas. Actually, it's lunchtime here, and I foundf a place where my wireless card works.

Today's MC is Joel Sender - looking pretty spiffy in a tux! This morning, after a few technical issues which were ably resolved by Phil Bautista (lead geek) Dan Bloom presented a brief history of AR System (some of the years were not consecutive) and introduced Doug Mueller. Doug's talk centered on the theme that IT is finally realizing that the reason we do all these things is to further the business objectives of our companies. Most of the businesses where BMC/Remedy products are running are really not interested in the actual implementation that IT chooses to support the business activities, not on the the platform or all those ITIL KPI's - they just want to run their business. Doug also went into some slight detail about things that might be present in a future release that will happen sometime between now and the next Ice Age (no dates, no promises, as is usual with Doug). Doug also commented on BMC's (firm) decision to retire the Windows User Tool client AFTER release 8, and encouraged us to begin making the switch to web users now.

I spent the rest of the morning in one of the Kinetic sessions - it's pretty impressive stuff - and I plan to catch the what's new and tutorials later this week as there are some repeats.

One other thing I will pass along is part of a conversation I overheard last night between two prominent Remedy uber-geeks had to do with how the 7.5 mid-tier pre-caches form definitions. The fact that one of these two wasn't sure about it means that it's an obscure enough point to discuss a bit. The 7.5 mid-tier keeps a cache of definitions for each unique combination of permissions. That means that if someone has write access to most of the fields on a form and another has write access to ALL of the fields on a form, you need two caches. Each of caches is defined in the pre-cache XSD file on the mid- tier cache config with a section for a user name that is representative of that combination of field permissions.

Most people (me included) who set up the new mid-tier see that the Demo login is present in the XSD file, and you think that this means that it will pre-cache all the forms needed by Demo, and that if your login needs one of those forms it will use the copy cached for Demo. That's NOT the way it works. For YOUR login to benefit from the pre- cache you need to duplicate that whole section that is Demo's in the default file, and set it up for a login that has the EXACT same set of permissions that you do. The mid-tier will build a separate cache for you and all the logins like yours.

What this means is that you should develop a SMALL NUMBER of combinations of permissions (e.g. Help Desk plus Change only, help Desk plus Asset only, help desk plus change plus asset) and make sure that most of your logins exactly match one of those models. Those logins will all load the pre-cached copy of the forms, and startup will appear to be faster for these people.

The pre-cache will be used if the mid-tier server restarts too - that's the "persistent" part of the cache.

That's it for now - lunch is ending and there is a LOT more to learn!

More when I have time

Doug