I edited these files to make this happen (midtier 7.1 in a solaris box):
.../resources/ie/javascript/ClientCore.js
.../resources/moz/javascript/ClientCore.js
.../resources/saf/javascript/ClientCore.js

Added this part on a line on each
+ " #" + F(1).G().toString()

so that the new line looks like:
var title = getLocalizedMessage("{0} ({1}) -- {2}", [tpre  + " #" +
F(1).G().toString(), ARKWGetStringByIdx(7), F(fieldid).GLabel()]);

This is a hack, because next midtier patch might overwrite this update. But I
will live with the burden of having to redo it.

This shouldn't be a hack. They should really add something like this to their
code.

BMC wasn't helpful. First level support first said it's as designed and told me
to tell the user not to keep more than ticket open at a time and not to keep
more than one diary or char popups open.

I didn't buy that and asked for a workaround and also an enhancement request. I
was told the engineers said there's no workaround. And my enhancement request
was subsequently rejected, without much convincing argument.

So I set out to find a local workaround.

In ARsx 7.5(?), I'm told diary fields don't give you popups, so this is not an
issue. Haven't seen it.