Joe,

        Thanks for the information and the links.

        Unfortunately the external application does not publish web services
- I was thinking that maybe I could use the AIE plugin to create view
forms without going through the procedure of creating db link.
 ... But nevermind, I'll have to talk to the Oracle db administrator
:)

        Thanks again

        Victor
 On Tue 08/12/09 01:57 , Joe D'Souza jdso...@shyle.net sent:
  **   Victor,   Using the AIE should get you "close" where you
want to be..   Its straight forward, once you have AIE installed.. All
you need to do is configure AIE to access the MS-SQL database using
the AIE configuration console (its straight forward), and then create
that link. You then can use AIE schedules to exchange data. This means
that you would need a container table to hold that data. You cannot to
the best of my knowledge create a view form directly to a table in
MS-SQL using the AIE plugin.. So data got this way will not be online
data but will take a while to refresh depending on your refresh
schedules.   To create a direct connection from Oracle to MS-SQL by
creating a table view of you would need to install the Oracle ODBC
drivers. Check this article..
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_database_link_sql_server_oracle.htm [1]
Using JDBC to access MS-SQL. This however may not allow you to create
a DB link from Oracle to MS-SQL
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms378749.aspx [2]   Have you
considered using Web Services for whatever you want to do? Does that
other application driven by that foreign data publish web services you
could consume? That would be perhaps more straight forward..   There
are also third party tools you may want to consider if you want data
connections to be online and real time.. Tibco is a name that comes to
my mind as I have used it in the past.   Hope this helps..   Cheers
Joe    -----Original Message-----
 FROM: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org]on BEHALF OF Victor Olufowobi
 SENT: Monday, December 07, 2009 10:14 AM
 TO: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
 SUBJECT: View form to MS SQL database from Oracle based ARSystem
 **

         BODY {  FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 12px
}  Listers,

        I need to create view forms to MS SQL databese to be used by ARS 7.5
with Oracle database.
 Do I need to create linked server from Oracle Database or can I just
use available plugins from ARS (for example the one used by AIE)?

        Any link to relevant documentation will be appreciated

        Victor_Platinum Sponsor: rmisoluti...@verizon.net ARSlist: "Where
the Answers Are"_

Links:
------