I'm not sure this will help your problem specifically or how common this knowledge is, but TomCat was the first product I ran into a problem with the install because the TEMP variable has spaces in it. This problem exist in several BMC products as well, so the first thing I do before starting an install is change TMP andd TEMP too something like C:\Temp. Also there are some products that do not like to install into a folder with spaces either.

HTH,
Brian