You can make use of the view created by ars. Here is an example:
suppose you have a table name HPD:Help Desk, and count the New incidents in it.
The sql statement would be

SELECT Count(Case_ID) FROM HPD_Help_Desk WHERE Status = 0

Status = 0 because it is the integer corresponding to the New value of the
status field

Best regards,
ARSmarts support team

ARSmarts, your most useful AR System companion.
www.ARSmarts.com