Mark

First, I don't understand why there is the modify you are indicating as the
field is already a not null field and it is not changing the datatype.  But,
that is not the issue here.  The issue is how to move forward.

This issue is Oracle only.  And, it affects only customers who were on an
install of around 4 or earlier and who have just been upgrading since as the
field was a long originally and changed to being a clob later.  So, your case
has not been changed to a clob.  Nothing is a problem with a long, and there
have been options to convert to a clob since but for whatever reason yours are
still long.  Most customers don't see it because they installed (or reinstalled
or converted) with later versions that created it as a clob.

As for moving forward, the following scenario has been successfully performed
at another customer who asked me about this topic.

In your existing environment:

1) Add a column named xxx that is a clob not null to the table actlink_message
2) Update actlink_message set xxx=msgText     no where clause so it does it to
       all rows now you have the same data in xxx and msgText
3) Delete column msgText
4) Rename column xxx to msgText

This should not affect the running system in any way but obviously do this on a
test system and you could just rename the column in 3 rather than delete it so
you can restore it if needed.  Try creating an active link with a message action
to make sure it works OK -- but it should.

NOTE: This has been done on at least one customer site with no issues and the
install was able to proceed without issue.  I just continue to include all the
caveats just in case.....

By the way, this is not a bad change in itself.  It is changing using an older
data type to a newer one that is more recommended by Oracle so the end result
of this "workaround" is to be using a better choice anyway.

This issue has been fowarded to the dev team to look at why this change is being
done in the first place and if it is needed, why there was no allowance for the
cases where this may still be a long from older installations.  So, this issue
should not occur in the future.

I hope this helps you get over the hump in your current installation.

Doug Mueller