From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [arsl...@arslist.org] On
Behalf Of Shyam Attavar [atta...@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: 11 June 2010 18:15
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Notify Action - authenticates against LDAP when user name specified is
an email address

**

We are seeing an unusual behavior, which we identified inadvertently and I am
trying to identify if this behavior is expected.

Here's the scenario:

The OOB notification events in ITSM 7.1 have been configured to set the default
notification mechanism to be blank. Hence the notification sent out is based on
the users’ preference setting in the User form. For this scenario, the filter
invoked on NTE:Notifier form has a notify action with the notification
mechanism specified as “User Default” and a Remedy Login ID is specified for
the user name. The email engine does not authenticate the users' account (the
one that is receiving the notification) against LDAP.

The custom notification event records we have defined have the default
notification mechanism as Email, since we want these to be going out as email
notifications. So, when the notification is sent out from the NTE:Notifier
form, the filter that is being invoked for sending notifications is setting the
notification mechanism to “Email” and an internet email address is specified
for the user name. This in turn authenticates the email address against LDAP --
this behavior does not make sense to me.

Why should the email engine authenticate against LDAP when sending out email
notifications to users?

I would like to hear if anyone has any insight on this behavior and how to
avoid the authentication when the default notification mechanism is specified
as Email and an email address is specified as the user name in the notify
filter action.

Shyam