I believe this is working as designed.

I believe the filter, TMS:TAS:Assignment_SetAssignmentGroup, which has Run If
qualification of
(('Assignee Group' = $NULL$) AND ('Assignee Group ID' = $NULL$)) AND ('Use
Foundation Group Assignment' = "Yes") is what nulls the fields out.

You might be able to modify this filter and add 'Template ID' = $NULL$.   If
you do this the task from the template will be created with a status of Pending
and Status Reason Assignment and the Assignment information will be pulled over
from the task template.  Adding an ad-hoc task would still require all three
values be set for assignment.

I wouldn't recommend this approach but I think it would work.  I would
recommend defining all three values in the task template or leave them all
blank.