I don't know what might be happening but just wanted to pass on a
observation of attachment behavior.  The attachment is opened from the local
machine until the records is saved.  So before step 4 everything with the
attachment is happening on the local machine.  To verify add the attachment
to the attachment pool, change the name of the file on the disk and then try
to save.  You will receive an error that the file cannot be found.

Something that might help pinpoint it being a issue with how the attachment
is being compressed/uncompressed and rule out pre step 4 workflow... Save a
record in a form with an attachment field, open the record in a modify mode,
add a mail merged attachment and open the attachment, it should be fine.
Then save the record (committing the attachment to the db), without
refreshing the record try to open the attachment again.  My thought is the
attachment will now be corrupt.

Have you tried saving the attachment to disk and seeing if the error still
happens?  Maybe it is more of an issue with the temp file that is written to
the disk when opening directly from the attachment pool?

Also what client are you using?  Have you tried in the opposite client to
see if the behavior is consistent?

Jason