Is it just AREA LDAP that is having an issue?  We have a very similar
environment (ARS 7.5 and Win 2008 x64) and have not had any issue since we
patched last night.  Our users "Cross Reference Blank Password" through the
server (not AREA because we do not have the RPC port set) and we update AD
via ARDBC LDAP.

Does this happen with the User Tool?  Sometime the MT password gets out of
sync with ARS and it could look like a user authentication error (although I
would expect to see your username in the plug-in log if MT had an issue
authenticating).  If it doesn't happen with the WUT I would check the MT
admin password.

Jason