Thanks Doug, John and Bill for your response. LIKE "%[a-zA-Z]%" works
great. I was afraid I might have to loop through all possible
characters...

Huiqing

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Mueller, Doug
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:18 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: 'ISNUMBER' function?

**

John,

Actually, you would need  .... LIKE "%[a-zA-Z]%" to allow for upper and
lower case letters if you are in

a case sensitive database environment (or just to be sure in case
insensitive too).

AND, this will work only if the serial number uses only ENGLISH
characters if there are characters.  This is

pretty likely for a serial number so this will likely work.  It would
not necessarily be sufficient in other

languages if characters can be present that are not the 26 letters of
the English alphabet.

Of course, this also assumes that special characters are not allowed
because they will have the same issues

with converting to numbers as characters.

Doug Mueller