>From BMC documentation:

Class BMC.CORE:BMC_Application:

Class that stores information about standalone applications,
applications deployed on servers (such as J2EE and SAP), and
applications deployed on distributed systems (such as SAP). An
application can be hosted by two different types of environments. The
application can run on a physical or virtual system, or it can run on
an application server or application system. Therefore, when modeling
applications, relate an instance of the BMC_Application class to a
hosting BMC_ComputerSystem (physical or virtual),
BMC_ApplicationServer, or BMC_ApplicationInfrastructure instance. For
example, if an application runs directly on top of an application
server or application system such as an SAP environment, the
application has only one relationship, a dependency on the application
infrastructure hosting the application. This dependency is modeled by
a BMC_Dependency relationship. When using the relationship, set the
Name value to DEPLOYEDAPPLICATION. This class corresponds to the DMTF
CIM_ApplicationSystem class.

Class BMC.CORE:BMC_ApplicationSystem:

Class that stores information about an application or a software
system that supports a particular business function and that can be
managed as an independent unit. This class cannot be instantiated. To
decompose the system into its technical components, relate an instance
of this class to its component BMC_SoftwareServer instance using the
BMC_Dependency class. For example, a J2EE run-time environment would
be represented by BMC_SoftwareServer. BMC_ApplicationSystem also
represents the core class of the application system's submodel of the
application runtime model. Its role in the system's submodel is to
represent the root node of the containment hierarchy of the
application elements (at runtime) as services, components, subsystems,
and the main entry point to the navigation through and drill-down into
the runtime model. It also serves to store run-time overview
information (such as response time or system status), and to control
the run time of the entire application (for example, start and stop).
To capture the deployed, run-time aspects of long-lived applications,
use BMC_SoftwareServer, BMC_Application, or
BMC_ApplicationInfrastructure. This class corresponds to the DMTF
class CIM_ ApplicationSystem.