I've seen the same message when trying to use a 7.6.03 midtier against a 7.0.1
server - I haven't looked into it in detail but there may be some issue with
the 7.6.03 Java API used by the DevStudio/Midtier and ARS pre 7.1.

Mark

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Wallace, Kelvin
Sent: 20 October 2010 21:43
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Error 149: A user name must be supplied in the control record

**
OK... so I am getting ready to upgrade our dev server to 7.6.3.  I've
downloaded everything, and installed the User and the Developer Studio.  The
current server is at 7.0.1 - Patch 1.  The User starts up with no problem.
However, the Developer Studio gives this error:

     Developer Studio - Error
     Error connecting to preference server.  ERROR (149):  A user name must be
supplied in the control record; (ARERR 5098)

I've never seen this one (or similar) before.  All of the references that I
have found on the web about Error 149 are not current.  But they seem to
indicate that the user name is not being passed at login time.

Any ideas?

Also, I have not read through all of the docs for 7.6.3 yet... Is this upgrade
going to be easy (or are there any gotchas):

     Solaris 10                        Solaris 10
     Oracle 10gR2                 Oracle 10gR2 --> then upgrade to Oracle 11gR2
     ARS 7.0.1 patch 1         7.6.3

Thanks,
Kelvin
_attend WWRUG10 www.wwrug.com<http://www.wwrug.com> ARSlist: "Where the Answers