From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 16:20
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: DNS entry for Server Group

I am experimenting with a server group for 7.6.03, but had not planned to use a
load balancer for a variety of reasons.  This is driven in part by the need to
run multiple mid-tiers with different settings for different groups, as we may
be forced to make mid-tier primary in 7.6.03 because so many parts of the
applications no longer work at all in the User Tool (RKM in particular).  We
need an admin mid-tier on the admin server (only one allowing the forms list),
helpdesk mid-tier on a support staff server (longer timeouts - all use fixed
licenses), and a general mid-tier for other support staff with mostly floating
licenses (shorter timeouts), and possibly for customer access to RKM.  Some day
we may need another mid-tier optimized for SRM if/when we implement it; today
the Kinetic Request application has its own web server.  My current 7.6.03
installs place the mid-tier on the AR Server - currently using IIS since the
distributed tomcat 6.0.18 installs refuse to do SSL via OpenSSL/PKCS, and the
7.6.03 mid-tier refuses to work properly with the current 6.0.29 tomcat
distribution (which does support SSL).  These still aren't entirely stable - on
two of them the tomcat dies overnight, leaving the Jakarta Isapi redirector
down - killing the mid-tier.  These are 2 cpu/8 core/16 thread machines with 12
to 24 gb of RAM, so horsepower isn't an issue.

I still need to define a common server name alias for the server group in DNS.
All of the member servers (Windows Server 2003 Ent x64, 2003 R2 Ent x64, or
2008 R2 Ent x64) are registered in both my AD Forest/DNS and the campus DNS
under the FQDN.  They are only resolvable by short name within my forest,
although I know that our campus DNS can have an alias to a short name if I need
it.  Mid-tiers within the forest have no problem resolving an AR Server on
another machine by the short name since they are all in the same forest/domain
DNS.

Since I am not using a load balancer, I think that the server alias name for
all of the server group members can be a short name registered only in my AD
DNS; nothing will ever refer to it from outside my forest (will it?).  What I
am not sure of (not a DNS jockey at all...) is what has to be in the record.
Is the alias supposed to point to all of the IP addresses for all of the server
group member servers?  Does anything ever actually USE the alias to connect to
one or more of the servers?  I guess that I might bring up a common mid-tier
that points at it (that _should_ work since the mid-tier will be able to
resolve it in my DNS, and the mid-tier will be in campus DNS by FQDN), but for
now we will be directing the different clienteles to separate mid-tiers
co-located on the appropriate functional servers for their purposes.

Every bit of this is radically different from our current ARS 7.1 setup with a
single AR Server, a single mid-tier server, and a separate RKM 7.2 server, so I
really need some insight from anyone who has already fought the battle of
implementing server groups (and won, I hope).  The server group alias name has
me stuck for now, since it does not exist and isn't in any DNS yet. The docs
and the BMC knowledgebase don't get me to an answer on how to set it up.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/