Kali,

BMC has a White Paper called "BMC Remedy Action Request System Security",
which I believe came out for version 7.1.  In there, it states:

Password security over the network

Passwords are always encrypted when sent over the network by the AR System

API. This is the case even if you do not choose to encrypt API
communications

with the AR System server.

NOTE

When BMC Remedy User displays a Flashboards object, it retrieves the content

from the BMC Remedy Mid Tier. BMC strongly recommends that you configure

the web server to use SSL to ensure that all data (including the password)
are

encrypted over the network and hence secure.

Password storage

User passwords are always stored in the database as an encrypted one-way
hash.

Once encrypted and stored, the password is not decrypted by the server at
all.

Passwords in the configuration files are always stored in an encrypted
format. The

encryption is a 56 bit DES. BMC recommends that you further protect the

configuration files by setting the appropriate file access permissions.

There's some other interesting information in there, so I'd look it up on
BMC's site if you want all the other security-related information.
Additionally, there's a second White Paper called "Security Attacks and AR
System" from 2007.  It too is pretty interesting and can be used to help
facilitate conversations with your security teams.

Hope that helps you!

Matt Reinfeldt