More information on On Demand from the expert, Tony Myers! Apologies, he meant
to post on Nov. 12th, but ... well... things happen...

From: Tony Myers [mailto:for...@developer.bmc.com]
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 2:29 PM
To: Brock, Anne

BMC Communities<http://communities.bmc.com/communities/index.jspa>

Customizing BMC Remedy OnDemand

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Why do you limit customizations in Remedy OnDemand and what are the
limitations?

A: (posted to ARList on Nov 12)

We do support customizations as a part of the Remedy OnDemand offering and
those customizations are maintained during upgrade as long as they are in line
with best practices guidelines. What we have seen so far is that customers are
using the move to SaaS as an opportunity to drive standardization and
consolidation. This means 0-10% customization vs. highly customized
environments. The cadence of delivery (updates 2-3 times a year) is probably
the primary consideration for considering on-premise or MSP delivery mechanisms
for highly customized environments. Customizations are maintained but customers
still need to make sure their logic around the customizations are valid from
release to release. Any SaaS provider that allows customizations has this
constraint (the more customizations, the more evaluation the customers need to
do, the longer it takes in a short period). Since there is no option to skip
releases in SaaS, it presents a unique challenge for customers that like the
concept of SaaS but don't like the cadence of the release it brings.

For this reason, we have defined best practices around customizations that
outline things customers SHOULD stay away from. This guide is going through
some revisions and will we plan to post in on-line soon. Customizations that
are adding features and functionality are typically okay. Some light
modifications to existing workflow are also okay (as long as its done
correctly). We warn customers to stay away from heavy customizations that
effect core workflow or foundational structures. An example of this is adding a
forth tier to operational categorization, or changing the way multi-tenancy
works, or modifying the organizational structures. These are changes with wide
impact across the suite.

With the existing offering, we put a certification process in place that guards
against 1) customizations that dont conform to best practice, and 2) moving
significant customizations into production as we know that customers could
struggle with validating and potentially adjusting the logic in the short
upgrade timeframe. The overlay concept will significantly help customers
automatically preserve customizations as well.

Finally, there were some comments on BSM and SaaS. Our direction is absolutely
BSM OnDemand. This does NOT mean all components run in the cloud but it does
mean use cases that cross OnDemand and on-premise are achievable. For example,
ADDM or another discovery technology can be deployed on-premise and pushes
updates to the CMDB that sits in the OnDemand offering. The discovery
technology sits close to the infrastructure as would other infrastructure
specific technology like alerting and, to some extent, automation. The key is
the integrations and performance. The typical integrations we have seen so far
is through web services and direct API calls (requires an internet VPN). This
hybrid approach to BSM is very achievable and we have some live customers
consuming bits of it now.

Thank you for your participation on BMC Communities.